“I can’t say enough good things about NORA and their entire staff. We took their beginner class June 2016 and not only did we learn how to safely get past some obstacles we also learned so much about our Jeep and the mechanics of it. After the first class with NORA we did not just leave there with a wealth of knowledge, we felt like me made some new friends. We were absolutely right. We were graciously invited back by the staff at NORA for an amazing day of off roading fun and a food/toy drive to help their local families. We spent a few hours having fun tackling some rocks and hills while the passengers kept their eyes peeled for some wild animals and various items. Then we drove through some breath taking back roads and learn some amazing history of the area. We then ended our day with dinner at a local restaurant. This is absolutely the place to go if you want to learn how to safely go off roading from some of the nicest most professional people.” Dawn M., Facebook Review, Dec 2016
Off-Road Driving Classes
Since 2011, NORA & it’s affiliates have provided quality training to over 7,000 clients. See 250+ 5-star reviews on Trip Advisor, Facebook & Google.
Click the Blue Links below for more info on each offering. Click to view our full calendar here:
- Introduction to Off-Road Driving (public & private training) – This 3 hour hybrid class is the perfect opportunity to learn and experience capabilities of 4WD vehicles. Students begin with an interactive online presentation highlighting vehicle controls, terrain, spotter hand signals and driving safety prior to visiting our Ellenville training center. On-site training includes obstacle course driving and beginner trail ride with guides by your side. Bring your own vehicle with 4-Low, or rent one of our NORA trail rigs for a family-friendly, educational & fun adventure. Available as a public class or private training.
- Off-Road Driving Essentials (public & private training) – This 6+ hour hybrid class has earned NORA Trip Advisors 2019 Excellence and 2020 Travelers Choice awards! Similar in format to our Intro class, the presentation is more in-depth and trail driving more challenging with lessons on the trail. Bring your own vehicle with 4-Low, or rent one of our NORA trail rigs for a family-friendly, educational & fun adventure. For students with full size trucks (i.e. Raptor, F-150, Ram 1500, Tundra, etc) we offer public Full Size Truck Days several times per year, please check the calendar. Available as a public class or private training.
Upon successful completion of this class you are invited to join the NORA Adventure Club to continue your off-road journey and put your new skills to use.
- Snow Trail Driving (private training only) – Based on our Off Road Driving Essentials framework, our snow trail driving class includes your choice of a live or recorded online presentation, onsite obstacle course & trail driving under supervision of instructors and guides. Use your own vehicle, a NORA provided trail rig (included) or switch between vehicles throughout the day. Training is safety focused with themes of people, vehicle and environmental preservation. All of your onsite time at NORA will be outdoors or in your own vehicle. Class includes vehicle recovery training in snow conditions on mountain terrain. Available January – March depending on trail conditions and requires scheduling flexibility. Call 845-514-9895 to learn more.
- Overland Fundamentals (public & private training) – These classes help you understand the principles of Overland Travel relating to vehicle and equipment selection, driving skills, vehicle maintenance, basic recovery, cooking gear, excursion planning and much more. Each class offers optional on-site camping for a fully immersed experience. Available as a public class or private training.
- Recovery Skills (public & private training) – This 5-hour non-driving class focuses on safe recovery techniques using winches, Hi-Lift jacks and traction aid devices. All recovery gear is provided as you experience classroom, workshops and on-trail simulations using NORA vehicles. Available as private training for recreation, commercial, government and military clients.
- Getting Unstuck Basics (public & private training) – This 3 hour class includes recovery workshops using NORA provided gear including tow straps, kinetic energy ropes and traction boards. A 2 hour trail ride is included where students will use these techniques to recover vehicles stuck on mountain and woodland terrain. Available as a public class or private training.
- Getting Unstuck Advanced (public & private training) – This 3 hour class includes recovery workshops using NORA provided gear including vehicle mounted winches and Hi-Lift jacks. A 2 hour trail ride is included where students will use these techniques to recover vehicles stuck on mountain and woodland terrain. Available as a public class or private training.
- Advanced Driving Skills (public & private training) – This driving class focuses on controlled use of momentum and techniques for driving over more aggressive terrain & obstacles. Class also includes spotting workshops to train students to ‘pick a line’ and understand how suspension compression impacts spotting vehicles through obstacles. 31″ tires or larger are required or rent a NORA trail rig. Available as a public class or private training.
- Exotics @NORA – This new Ellenville offering was inspired by a NORA public class where two students (one Land Rover, one G-Wagon) had a friendly rivalry on the trails. This class is limited to Land Rovers & G-Wagons and offers an optional Hunter Driving Tour add-on.
- Vintage @NORA – We’ve had many vintage 4WD rigs at NORA and these specific training days welcome the 4WD classics (all makes/models pre 2003). Bring your rig & camera for an awesome day with an optional Hunter Driving Tour add-on.
- Basic First Aid for Off-Road Driving Injuries (public training only) full-day non-driving class looks at situations that have a higher than usual risk of injury. Learn safe technique to mitigate these risks sustained from winching, vehicle roll-overs, burns and more, but also learn how to treat them if they do occur with an ASHI certified first aid instructor. Available as a public class.
- Vehicle Maintenance & Confidence (private training only) – This 3-hour non-driving class reviews basic vehicle maintenance (on pavement & off-road) and what to do with common mechanical issues (i.e. dead battery, flat tire, etc). Topics include fluids, electrical system/diagnostic scanners and tires. This class is open to everyone and highly recommended for new drivers and high school/college students. Available as private training.
- Off-Road Ride-A-Long Adventure – (private training only) This 90-minute adventure is for small groups, families and friends. Ride along as a passenger while your driver navigates a NORA Jeep up steep hills, through tight forest trails, and over rocks & ledges at NORA’s 75-acre mountain top rugged terrain in Ellenville, NY.
Gift Certificates Available: Click here to purchase an Essentials Class Gift Certificate
Private Training: Click here to learn about Private Training options
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel up to the day of the class (you must notify us by phone or email) and receive a full credit for another class or NORA activity for up to 12 months. If you don’t feel well, stay home and reschedule. Please note you will receive credit only, no refunds.
NORA’s Trip Advisor Awards are given to accommodations, attractions and restaurants that consistently earn great reviews from travelers & are ranked within the top 10% of properties on Tripadvisor.