“Highly professional, knowledgeable, and friendly guides (literally) walking you through challenging obstacles teaching technical off-road driving skills. I had never challenged my Jeep Wrangler until this Essentials class. Highly recommend it, so much fun.” David K., TripAdvisor Review, Dec 2022
Off-Road Driving & Recovery Classes
Since 2011, NORA & it’s affiliates have provided quality training to over 9,000 clients. See 300+ 5-star reviews on Trip Advisor, Facebook & Google.
All NORA classes are offered as a public group class or as private training. Bring your own vehicle with 4-LOW and front & rear recovery points or rent one of our trail rigs for the class. Click the Blue Links below for more info on each offering. Click to view our public group class calendar here:
- Introduction to Off-Road Driving (Beginner) – This 3 hour class is perfect to learn and experience capabilities of 4WD vehicles. Includes a 1-hour recorded online presentation viewed before visiting our Ellenville training center. 2-hour on-site training includes obstacle course driving and beginner trail ride with instructors walking alongside your vehicle on the trails.
- Off-Road Driving Essentials (Beginner & Experienced) – This 6+ hour hybrid class has earned NORA Trip Advisors 2019 Excellence and ’20/’21/’22 Travelers Choice awards! Similar in format to our Intro class, the presentation is more in-depth and trail driving more challenging with lessons on the trail. Upon successful completion of this class you are invited to join the NORA Adventure Club to continue your off-road journey and put your new skills to use.
- Off Road Boot Camp (Beginner & Experienced) – This 2-day class based in Ellenville includes elements from our Essentials, Getting Unstuck and Advanced Skills classes. It includes an evening trail ride and on-site overnight primitive camping at no charge. This class is for people with experience levels ranging from none to intermediate.
- Getting Unstuck Basics (Beginner & Experienced) – This 5-hour class teaches you driving techniques to avoid getting stuck along with vehicle recovery techniques with focus on safety. Includes workshops and trail driving with recovery on mountain terrain using common recovery gear. Training is safety focused on people, vehicle and environmental preservation.
- Advanced Driving Skills (Experienced) – This 4-hour driving class focuses on controlled use of momentum and techniques for driving over more aggressive terrain & obstacles. Class also includes spotting workshops to train students to ‘pick a line’ and understand how suspension compression impacts spotting vehicles through obstacles. 31″ tires or larger are required or rent a NORA trail rig.
- Adventure Van (Beginner & Experienced) – Adventure vans (class B motorhomes) offer the advantages of a recreational vehicle with the convenience of easy mobility (i.e. no tow rig to deal with) and are customized on popular vehicle platforms such as Mercedes, Ford and RAM. NORA’s Adventure Van program gives you a solid off road driving foundation to help you understand the capabilities and limits of your Adventure Van. This program is offered as a public class or private training with free overnight boondocking at NORA’s onsite camping area.
- Alumni Coach & Drive – This refresher Coach & Drive class is exclusively for NORA Alumni. Drivers who completed an off road driving class at our Ellenville, NY facility may register as a Driver. Alumni Passengers and new passengers are welcome to ride-along with their Driver at no charge. Raise your off road questions at the start of class and instructors will customize the lessons based on what participants want to focus on (i.e., spotting, picking a line, etc.). Lesson topics and trails for each class may vary based on the group attending.
- Vehicle Maintenance & Confidence – This 3-hour non-driving class reviews basic vehicle maintenance (on pavement & off-road) and what to do with common mechanical issues (i.e. dead battery, flat tire, etc). Topics include fluids, electrical system/diagnostic scanners and tires. This class is open to everyone and highly recommended for new drivers.
Gift Certificates Available: Click here to purchase a Gift Certificate
Private Training: Click here to learn about Private Training options
NORA has worked with over 9,000 clients since 2011 and received Trip Advisor Awards for consistently earning great reviews from travelers. We are ranked within the top 10% of properties on TripAdvisor! Our team of instructors and guides are all passionate about what we do, and we strive to give you an exceptional experience. See our testimonials.
Cancellation Policy (send email to firstname.lastname@example.org):
Credit only (valid for 1 year), no refunds
7 days prior to class date: Full credit
6 days up to day before class date: Full credit less $50 service fee
Day of class – 50% credit