“I can’t say enough good things about NORA and their entire staff. We took their beginner class June 2016 and not only did we learn how to safely get past some obstacles we also learned so much about our Jeep and the mechanics of it. After the first class with NORA we did not just leave there with a wealth of knowledge, we felt like me made some new friends. We were absolutely right. We were graciously invited back by the staff at NORA for an amazing day of off roading fun and a food/toy drive to help their local families. We spent a few hours having fun tackling some rocks and hills while the passengers kept their eyes peeled for some wild animals and various items. Then we drove through some breath taking back roads and learn some amazing history of the area. We then ended our day with dinner at a local restaurant. This is absolutely the place to go if you want to learn how to safely go off roading from some of the nicest most professional people.” Dawn M., Facebook Review, Dec 2016
Off-Road Driving Classes
Since 2011, NORA & it’s affiliates have provided quality training to over 8,000 clients. See 300+ 5-star reviews on Trip Advisor, Facebook & Google.
Click the Blue Links below for more info on each offering. Click to view our full public class calendar here:
- Introduction to Off-Road Driving (Beginner) – This 3 hour class is perfect to learn and experience capabilities of 4WD vehicles. Includes an interactive online presentation viewed before visiting our Ellenville training center. On-site training includes obstacle course driving and beginner trail ride with instructors by your side. Bring your own vehicle with 4-Low, or rent one of our NORA trail rigs for a family-friendly, educational & fun adventure. Available as a public class or private training.
- Off-Road Driving Essentials (Beginner & Experienced) – This 6+ hour hybrid class has earned NORA Trip Advisors 2019 Excellence and ’20/’21/’22 Travelers Choice awards! Similar in format to our Intro class, the presentation is more in-depth and trail driving more challenging with lessons on the trail. Bring your own vehicle with 4-Low, or rent one of our NORA trail rigs for a family-friendly, educational & fun adventure. Available as a public class or private training.
Upon successful completion of this class you are invited to join the NORA Adventure Club to continue your off-road journey and put your new skills to use.
- Off-Road Driving For Full Size Trucks – Essentials driving class for full size trucks (i.e. Raptor, F-150, Ram 1500, Tundra, etc). Available as private training only.
- Snow Trail Driving – Based on our Off Road Driving Essentials framework, our snow trail driving class includes an online presentation, onsite obstacle course & trail driving under supervision of instructors and guides. Class includes vehicle recovery training in snow conditions on mountain terrain. Available January – March depending on trail conditions and requires scheduling flexibility. Call 845-514-9895 to learn more.
- Off Road Boot Camp (Beginner & Experienced) – This 2-day class based in Ellenville includes elements from our Essentials, Getting Unstuck and Advanced Skills classes. It includes an evening trail ride and on-site overnight primitive camping at no charge. This class is for people with experience levels ranging from none to intermediate.
- Overland Fundamentals – These classes help you understand the principles of Overland Travel relating to vehicle and equipment selection, driving skills, vehicle maintenance, basic recovery, cooking gear, excursion planning and much more. Each class offers optional on-site camping for a fully immersed experience. Available as a public class or private training.
- Getting Unstuck (Beginner & Experienced) – This class teaches you driving techniques to avoid getting stuck along with vehicle recovery techniques with focus on safety. Includes workshops and trail driving with recovery on mountain terrain using common recovery gear. Training is safety focused on people, vehicle and environmental preservation. Students may bring their own vehicles with 4-Low and front/rear recovery points or rent a NORA vehicle for use on the trails. Available as a public class or private training.
- Advanced Driving Skills (Experienced) – This driving class focuses on controlled use of momentum and techniques for driving over more aggressive terrain & obstacles. Class also includes spotting workshops to train students to ‘pick a line’ and understand how suspension compression impacts spotting vehicles through obstacles. 31″ tires or larger are required or rent a NORA trail rig. Available as a public class or private training.
- Exotics @NORA – This new Ellenville offering was inspired by a NORA public class where two students (one Land Rover, one G-Wagon) had a friendly rivalry on the trails. This class is limited to Land Rovers & G-Wagons and offers an optional Hunter Driving Tour add-on.
- Vintage @NORA – We’ve had many vintage 4WD rigs at NORA and these specific training days welcome the 4WD classics (all makes/models pre 2003). Bring your rig & camera for an awesome day with an optional Hunter Driving Tour add-on.
- Vehicle Maintenance & Confidence – This 3-hour non-driving class reviews basic vehicle maintenance (on pavement & off-road) and what to do with common mechanical issues (i.e. dead battery, flat tire, etc). Topics include fluids, electrical system/diagnostic scanners and tires. This class is open to everyone and highly recommended for new drivers and high school/college students. Available as private training.
- Off-Road Ride-A-Long Adventure – This 90-minute adventure is for small groups, families and friends. Ride along as a passenger while your driver navigates a NORA Jeep up steep hills, through tight forest trails, and over rocks & ledges at NORA’s 75-acre mountain top rugged terrain in Ellenville, NY.
Gift Certificates Available: Click here to purchase an Essentials Class Gift Certificate
Private Training: Click here to learn about Private Training options
NORA has worked with over 8,000 clients since 2011 and received Trip Advisor Awards for consistently earning great reviews from travelers. We are ranked within the top 10% of properties on TripAdvisor! Our team of instructors and guides are all passionate about what we do, and we strive to give you an exceptional experience. See our testimonials.
2022 Cancellation Policy (send email to email@example.com):
Credit only (valid for 1 year), no refunds
7 days prior to class date: Full credit
6 days up to day before class date: Full credit less $50 service fee
Day of class – 50% credit