Specialized Outdoor Adaptive Recreation @ NORA
NORA is excited to announce our new Adaptive Adventures program: SOAR!
This program is recommended for participants with disabilities requiring use of a wheelchair. Some activities (not all) require participants have sufficient upper body strength and trunk control to navigate/use a manual wheelchair.
These adventures offer our guests opportunities to recreate at NORA’s private 75-acre mountain top accessible facility. We are working in cooperation with Helen Hayes Rehabilitation Hospital, GRIT Freedom Chair and the Disability Opportunity Fund to bring you innovative and exciting programs for you to enjoy and be challenged. We have three options to choose from:
- Individuals and groups may build a custom event based on the activities listed below. Contact email@example.com to review options and book your private day.
- Register on-line and attend one of our program samplers offering guests to try different activities.
- From the creators of BFGoodrich 36 Hours of Uwharrie: Ready for a challenge? SOAR Team Competition: Teams (1 chair guest and 1 able-bodied aide) earn points in this set of unique skills challenges. Our competition includes 3 stations: GRIT Freedom Chair, air-gun marksmanship and an off-road ride-a-long scavenger hunt. Come to NORA to challenge yourselves and have fun! Dates will be announced Spring 2020.
Here are a sample of activities that NORA’s SOAR program offers. Contact us to plan your day with one or more activities for you and your group.
- Introduction to GRIT Freedom Chair
Learn about the GRIT Freedom Chair and how it operates. Our introduction includes classroom training and workshops navigating obstacle courses and woodland trails. NORA staff are by your side the entire time.
- GRIT Freedom Chair Woodland Coach & Ride
For guests already familiar with operating the GRIT Freedom Chair. NORA staff will accompany you on a journey through our natural terrain woodland trails.
- Introduction to Off-Road Driving (with adaptive controls).
Learn off-road driving principles and drive our obstacle course & woodland trails using one of our NORA 4×4 Jeeps equipped with adaptive controls. (Guests need to be certified to drive on-road with adaptive controls).
- Off-Road Ride-a-Long
Enjoy an off-road ride-a-long as your NORA guide drives you through our natural terrain trail network including steep uphills, downhills, rocks and ledges. Consider an optional lunch-in-the-woods at one of our serene woodland areas.
- Air Gun Marksmanship
Practice your marksmanship skills at NORA’s air gun range under the supervision of NORA staff. Includes safety class and operations review for different types of air guns.
Check out Richard Corbett’s video from NORA’s August 2019 SOAR Sampler Event